We’re doing things a little differently…. Want to join us on our journey, to help us grow?
Founded in 2017 by our CEO, James, and co-founder, Callum, we’re an award-winning technology startup with a mission to offer people a fairer kind of car insurance. With the UK’s first real-time pay-by-mile car insurance policy, we’re bringing the same level of on-demand convenience to car ownership that people now expect from taxis and take-away food.
We’re now looking for a Cloud Platform Engineer to further strengthen our engineering capability, provide operational excellence, security, reliability and performance efficiency at optimal cost, enabling an outstanding platform self-service capability to support our cross-functional teams.
Our Engineers come from varied backgrounds, from landscape gardening to photography. While some have a degree, others have come from academy courses such as Makers and General Assembly. However, what we all hold in common is a passion for technology and building an awesome product for our members.
As our platform grows rapidly to support new and existing members (By Miles insurance policyholders), we want to continue to delight them whilst automating and scaling even more aspects of our daily work. We’re looking for a Senior Cloud Engineer to help us on our journey.
We are cloud native and value building platforms and systems that are resilient, cost effective and automated with the right level of monitoring. As a regulated financial company that is ISO27001 certified and values innovation and continuous delivery we have an ongoing challenge to meet continued, rigorous data security and auditability requirements.
Our technology stack is primarily Node.js running in containers and serverless Lambda, deployed to AWS using Infrastructure as Code. We build for scale, incorporating design patterns such as messaging using SQS, circuit breaker and bulkhead patterns, and our teams deploy their own code to many AWS services (including Lambda, EventBridge, ECS and RDS) multiple times per day, with zero downtime, following Continuous Delivery principles and practices.
At By Miles we are organised into cross-functional business aligned teams that include engineers, product and design - teams build and run their own systems in production environments and regularly report they have a high-level of psychological safety.
The Senior Cloud Platform Engineer will be responsible for developing our Cloud Platform capability to deliver self-service tooling and blueprints, patterns, guidance and processes improvement, continuously striving to automate away and reduce operational run costs and risks - enabling our cross-functional teams to build systems that continue to delight our customers and members with even more efficiency.
We’re looking for someone to join our team with:
- Strong knowledge, who can help teach others how to architect, build, operate, maintain and deliver continuous change into Amazon Web Services (AWS) environments safely and at speed using best practices and Infrastructure as Code - we use Terraform and Cloud Formation.
- Great experience configuring and running core AWS services (VPC, EC2, IAM, Lambda, API Gateway) in production, using best practices in a multi-account environment.
- Good knowledge and experience provisioning and running AWS ECS clusters using either EC2 or Fargate.
- Experienced in provisioning, upgrading and scaling RDS instances across multiple availability zones.
- Experience deploying and supporting CI and CD pipelines and working in a Continuous Delivery environment, we use AWS CodeBuild and CodePipeline.
Day-to-day you will:
- Support our cross-functional teams in reviewing architectural design and supporting their implementation.
- Deliver against the Cloud Platform roadmap to provide scalable, self-serve tools, architecture blueprints and processes to enable cross functional teams to continue to run their architecture at scale.
- Lead by example with the use of Infrastructure as Code, compliance and at scale cloud operating techniques.
- Stay informed of and educate the engineering department in AWS service releases, working with engineers to validate their suitability and blueprint usage in By Miles.
- Work with cross-functional teams to ensure we continue to be cost-effective in our use of resources, match supply and demand effectively and continue to optimise over time.
- Join our sustainable on-call rota to ensure AWS services are available during core business hours.
You’ll be a fantastic addition to By Miles if you have:
- Exceptional communication skills and communicate proactively intra and inter teams, with peers and stakeholders.
- An ability to spot opportunities for improvement, prioritise and deliver change effectively and quickly.
- A safe pair of hands and are calm in a crisis.
- An empathetic nature and enjoy teaching others and knowledge sharing.
- A proactive attitude and are not afraid to challenge the status quo for the better good of the company, our culture or product.
If you have some of the below, it's an added bonus, but not essential!
- Delivering cloud infrastructure change at pace in a regulated industry
- Real-world exposure to the use of Compliance as Code techniques within a cloud environment to identify and remediate miss-configuration.
- Experience configuring, operating and hardening the Linux OS - we use Chef for configuration management.
- Any experience with AWS Organisations and Billing is an advantage.
10% Side Project Time
Innovation is something that we actively encourage and we want our talent to work on things that excite and interest them. To help do this we give our Engineers the opportunity to work 1 day, every 2 weeks on side projects of their choice that relate either to our industry or technology platform. It could be on anything from solving an already identified problem to proposing something no one else has even recognised!
But it’s not all about us...
It’s just as much about you. We’re an ambitious, energetic bunch and we have our sights set on doubling in size this year, and we’re ready to grow.
We recognise the value our people bring, with their inquisitive minds, bright ideas and fantastic attitudes, and we aim to give as much as we receive. It’s only fair.
- 26 days holiday + 8 bank holidays.
- Fully Hybrid Working - We will never force you to work from a location that doesn’t work for you, and we are committed to finding new ways of collaborating that make distributed working, work.
- Verified by flexa as a truly flexible employer.
- Allowance to get your work-from-anywhere set up, set up.
- Opportunities for part-time and flexible working - we are always open to discussing this, so please let us know if this might be right for you.
- Clean, bright, spacious office in Hammersmith
- Monthly one-to-one coaching sessions with our in-house coach Helen McMillan.
- Access to on-demand mental health support through Spill.
- Fully Flexible Benefits through our partner Thanks Ben, choose the benefits that matter most to you from Health Insurance, Pension Tops Ups, Learning & Development top-ups, or turn anything else into a benefit with your Thanks Ben Card.
- Real Living Wage for new parents, regardless of gender, or amount of time taken with your new addition to the family.
- Compassionate leave, Parental Bereavement Leave - When the worst happens, we want you to take the time you need without worrying about money or work.
- Sabbaticals - When you’ve been with us for 3 years you can take a paid sabbatical to rest, recharge, travel, learn a new skill, anything you want!
- Regular Socials - both Virtual and In-person.
- Cycle to work scheme.
Salary : £60,000-70,0000 dependent on experience
Location: London, with flexible working or fully Hybrid working options UK wide.
Our customers come from all walks of life, and so do we. We are committed to creating a diverse environment and are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics or disability.