We’re doing things a little differently…. Want to join us on our journey, to help us grow?
In 2018, we launched the UK’s first real-time pay-by-mile car insurance policy, and we’ve been growing quickly ever since. We’re now looking for a Senior Software Engineer to join our Telematics Team. You will join a great team and an experienced lead engineer on developing an advanced platform for vehicle telematics data ingestion and processing.
Our Engineers come from varied backgrounds, from landscape gardening to photography. While some have a degree, others have come from academy courses such as Makers and General Assembly. However, what we all hold in common is a passion for technology and building an awesome product for our members.
Senior Software Engineer (Node.js, AWS) Vehicle Telematics - opportunity
As our platform grows rapidly to support new and existing members (By Miles insurance policyholders), we want to continue to delight them whilst automating and scaling even more aspects of our daily work. We’re looking for a Senior Software Engineer to help us on our journey.
You will have the chance to work at the bleeding edge of the connected car/vehicle telematics industry, collaborating directly with global vehicle manufacturers to refine and develop their connected car platforms for usage based insurance. This is an opportunity to gain early experience in a new, global industry which is scaling rapidly.
Within Engineering you will have the support of the Telematics Lead Engineer to implement the "How" of engineering, guiding on consistent approaches to architecture, quality, standards, code review and delivery, as well as excellent management overseeing your individual performance, professional development and team health.
Our stack is primarily Node.js and serverless Lambda deployed to AWS using Serverless and CloudFormation. We build for scale, incorporating design patterns such as messaging using SQS, circuit breaker and bulkhead patterns, and our teams deploy their own code to many AWS services (including Lambda, EventBridge, ECS and RDS) multiple times per day, with zero downtime, following Continuous Delivery principles and practices.
Being highly regulated by the FCA, ensuring confidentiality of customer data while supporting organisational pace and innovation is an exciting challenge of this role.
We’re looking for someone to join our team with the following experience:
- Great SQL and non-relational database experience - we use DynamoDB and S3 as data stores and Postgres is used elsewhere in the By Miles ecosystem
- Proven experience building, deploying and running robust APIs and services with Node.js in a live serverless environment, preferably AWS
- Writing unit tests, preferably using Jest
- Ability to take architectural designs and implement solutions through to Production independently
- Experience supporting and mentoring less experienced Engineers
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Honest and respectful
- Keen to engage and collaborate with colleagues
- Efficient in their core skills and ambitious
And if you have some of the below, it's an added bonus, but not essential!
- Experience in a scale-up environment
- Experience using infrastructure as code techniques - we use Terraform and CloudFormation
10% Side Project Time
Innovation is something that we actively encourage and we want our talent to work on things that excite and interest them. To help do this we give our Engineers the opportunity to work 1 day, every 2 weeks on side projects of their choice that relate either to our industry or technology platform. It could be on anything from solving an already identified problem to proposing something no one else has even recognised!
But it’s not all about us...
It’s just as much about you. We’re an ambitious, energetic bunch and we have our sights set on great things this year, and we’re ready to grow. We recognise the value our people bring, with their inquisitive minds, bright ideas and fantastic attitudes, and we aim to give as much as we receive. It’s only fair.
- 26 days holiday + 8 bank holidays.
- Fully Hybrid Working - We will never force you to work from a location that doesn’t work for you, and we are committed to finding new ways of collaborating that make distributed working, work.
- Verified by flexa as a truly flexible employer.
- Allowance to get your work-from-anywhere set up, set up.
- Opportunities for part-time and flexible working - we are always open to discussing this, so please let us know if this might be right for you.
- Clean, bright, spacious office in Hammersmith
- Monthly one-to-one coaching sessions with our in-house coach Helen McMillan.
- Access to on-demand mental health support through Spill.
- Fully Flexible Benefits through our partner Thanks Ben, choose the benefits that matter most to you from Health Insurance, Pension Tops Ups, Learning & Development top-ups, or turn anything else into a benefit with your Thanks Ben Card.
- Real Living Wage for new parents, regardless of gender, or amount of time taken with your new addition to the family.
- Compassionate leave, Parental Bereavement Leave - When the worst happens, we want you to take the time you need without worrying about money or work.
- Sabbaticals - When you’ve been with us for 3 years you can take a paid sabbatical to rest, recharge, travel, learn a new skill, anything you want!
- Regular Socials - both Virtual and In-person.
- Cycle to work scheme.
Salary: £60,000-£80,000 dependent on experience.
Location: London, with flexible working or UK Hybrid working.
Our customers come from all walks of life, and so do we. We are committed to creating a diverse environment and are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics or disability.