We’re doing things a little differently…. Want to join us on our journey, to help us grow?
In 2018, we launched the UK’s first real-time pay-by-mile car insurance policy, and we’ve been growing quickly ever since. We’re now looking for a Cloud Platform Security Lead to further strengthen our engineering capability, provide operational excellence, security, reliability and performance efficiency at optimal cost, enabling an outstanding platform self-service capability to support our cross-functional teams.
Our Engineers come from varied backgrounds, from landscape gardening to photography. While some have a degree, others have come from academy courses such as Makers and General Assembly. However, what we all hold in common is a passion for technology and building an awesome product for our members.
Cloud Platform Security Lead - opportunity
As our platform grows rapidly to support new and existing members (By Miles insurance policyholders), we want to continue to delight them whilst automating and scaling even more aspects of our daily work. We’re looking for a Cloud Platform Security Lead to help us on our journey.
We are cloud native and value building platforms and systems that are resilient, cost effective and automated with the right level of monitoring. As a regulated financial company that is ISO27001 certified and values innovation and continuous delivery we have an ongoing challenge to meet continued, rigorous data security and auditability requirements.
Our technology stack is primarily Node.js running in containers and serverless Lambda, deployed to AWS using Infrastructure as Code. We build for scale, incorporating design patterns such as messaging using SQS, circuit breaker and bulkhead patterns, and our teams deploy their own code to many AWS services (including Lambda, EventBridge, ECS and RDS) multiple times per day, with zero downtime, following Continuous Delivery principles and practices.
At By Miles we are organised into cross-functional business aligned teams that include engineers, product and design - teams build and run their own systems in production environments and regularly report they have a high-level of psychological safety.
The Cloud Platform Security Lead will be responsible for growing and leading a Cloud Platform and Security capability to deliver self-service tooling and blueprints, patterns, guidance and processes improvement, continuously striving to automate away and reduce operational run costs and risks - enabling our cross-functional teams to build systems that continue to delight our customers and members with even more efficiency.
We’re looking for someone to join our team with:
- Previous experience leading and/or managing a small team of engineers.
- Expert knowledge who can teach others how to architect, build, operate, maintain and deliver continuous change into Amazon Web Services (AWS) environments safely and at speed using best practices and Infrastructure as Code - we use Terraform and Cloud Formation
- Unrivalled experience configuring and running AWS services (VPC, EC2, IAM, RDS, Lambda, API Gateway, Organisations, Billing) in production using best practices in a multi-account environment.
- Experience configuring, operating and hardening the Linux OS - we use Chef for configuration management.
- Experience in a security related role, demonstrating excellent cloud security architecture knowledge and expertise including monitoring of cloud infrastructure, intrusion detection and prevention.
Day-to-day you will:
- Take over Security Officer responsibilities from the Head of Engineering - being the go to person for Infosecurity questions and working with our Head of Compliance to ensure we monitor emerging threats and risks, review, prioritise and effectively deliver corrective actions to continuously strive to improve our security posture.
- Manage our ongoing relationship with AWS.
- Work with Finance and cross-functional teams to enhance our Cloud Financial Management process to ensure we continue to be cost-effective in our use of resources, match supply and demand effectively and continue to optimise over time.
- Maintain the Cloud Platform roadmap to provide scalable, self-serve tools, architecture blueprints and processes to the wider teams.
- Lead by example with the use of Infrastructure as Code, compliance and at scale cloud operating techniques.
- Support our cross-functional teams day-to-day in reviewing cloud Architecture Decision Records and continued security compliance, mentoring and training engineers.
- Stay informed of and educate the engineering department in AWS service releases, working with engineers to validate their suitability and blueprint usage in By Miles.
You’ll be a fantastic addition to By Miles if you have:
- Exceptional communication skills and communicate proactively intra and inter teams, with peers and stakeholders.
- A security focused mindset, ensuring continued security compliance improvement across everything you and other teams do.
- An ability to spot opportunities for improvement, prioritise and deliver change effectively and quickly.
- A safe pair of hands and are calm in a crisis.
- An empathetic nature and enjoy teaching others and knowledge sharing.
- A proactive attitude and are not afraid to challenge the status quo for the better good of the company, our culture or product.
If you have some of the below, it's an added bonus, but not essential!
- Delivering cloud infrastructure change at pace in a regulated industry
- Real-world exposure to the use of Compliance as Code techniques within a cloud environment to identify and remediate miss-configuration
- Chef (Configuration management and compliance)
- Prior experience as a Security Officer
10% Side Project Time
Innovation is something that we actively encourage and we want our talent to work on things that excite and interest them. To help do this we give our Engineers the opportunity to work 1 day, every 2 weeks on side projects of their choice that relate either to our industry or technology platform. It could be on anything from solving an already identified problem to proposing something no one else has even recognised!
But it’s not all about us...
It’s just as much about you. We’re an ambitious, energetic bunch and we have our sights set on doubling in size this year, and we’re ready to grow.
We recognise the value our people bring, with their inquisitive minds, bright ideas and fantastic attitudes, and we aim to give as much as we receive. It’s only fair. You can find out more about our benefits and virtues here on our main careers page: www.bymiles.co.uk/careers
Salary : £80,000 - £95,000 dependent on experience