We’re doing things a little differently…. Want to join us on our journey, to help us grow?
In 2018, we launched the UK’s first real-time pay-by-mile car insurance policy, and we’ve been growing quickly ever since. We’re now looking for a Senior Software Engineer to join our Policy team. You will join a small team focused on developing and advancing the platform that enables other teams with high-quality testable APIs and management tools covering the full By Miles policy lifecycle.
Our Engineers come from varied backgrounds, from landscape gardening to photography. While some have a degree, others have come from academy courses such as Makers and General Assembly. However, what we all hold in common is a passion for technology and building an awesome product for our members.
Senior Software Engineer (React, Node.js, AWS) - opportunity
As our platform grows rapidly to support new and existing members, we want to continue to delight them whilst automating and scaling even more aspects of our daily work. We’re looking for a Senior Software Engineer to help us on our journey.
We are cloud native and value building platforms and systems that are resilient, cost effective and automated with great observability. As a regulated financial company that is ISO27001 certified and values innovation and continuous delivery, we have an ongoing challenge to meet continued, rigorous data, security and auditability requirements.
Our technology stack is primarily Node.js running in containers and serverless Lambda, deployed to AWS using Infrastructure as Code. We build for scale, incorporating design patterns such as messaging using SQS, circuit breaker and bulkhead patterns, and our teams deploy their own code to many AWS services (including Lambda, EventBridge, ECS and RDS) multiple times per day, with zero downtime, following Continuous Delivery principles and practices.
At By Miles, we are organised into cross-functional business aligned teams that include engineers, product and design - teams build and run their own systems in production environments and regularly report they have a high-level of psychological safety.
The Senior Software Engineer will work within our Policy team to develop, maintain and innovate our backend insurance platform and Customer Experience (CX) management tools. Building automated end-to-end testable APIs for By Miles policy lifecycle management and working with Product to support our CX teams to continue to delight our customers and members with even more efficiency.
We’re looking for someone to join our team with:
- Proven experience building and running robust APIs and services with Node.js in an AWS environment.
- Experience building, debugging and releasing React based applications.
- Prior experience leading refactoring of codebase(s) effectively.
- Great SQL and non-relational database experience, we use Postgres, DynamoDB and S3 as data stores and have 100Ms of rows of data.
Day-to-day you will:
- Effectively prioritise architecting, re-platforming, maintaining and simplifying existing insurance APIs in areas of our platform responsible for insurance policy lifecycle management (creation, change, cancellations, renewals, reporting etc).
- Develop, maintain and innovate the platform that provides other teams with high-quality, fully automated end-to-end testable APIs for By Miles policy management.
- Build new insurance products and features.
- Propose and document architectural decisions to support our technical roadmap.
- Mentor and train other engineers.
You’ll be a fantastic addition to By Miles if you have:
- Exceptional communication skills and communicate proactively intra and inter teams, with peers and stakeholders.
- An ability to spot opportunities for improvement, prioritise and deliver change effectively and quickly.
- An empathetic nature and enjoy teaching others and knowledge sharing.
- A proactive attitude and are not afraid to challenge the status quo for the better good of the company, our culture or product.
- The ability to understand complicated domain logic and create clear abstractions.
If you have some of the below, it's an added bonus, but not essential!
- Worked in an insurance software house (e.g. BrokerDirect, OpenGI, Applied, etc.)
- Experience of the car insurance/insurance domain
- Typescript or DynamoDB experience
- AWS RDS configuration and tuning experience
But it’s not all about us...
It’s just as much about you. We’re an ambitious, energetic bunch and we have our sights set on doubling in size this year, and we’re ready to grow.
We recognise the value our people bring, with their inquisitive minds, bright ideas and fantastic attitudes, and we aim to give as much as we receive. It’s only fair. You can find out more about our benefits and virtues here on our main careers page: www.bymiles.co.uk/careers
10% Side Project Time
Innovation is something that we actively encourage and we want our talent to work on things that excite and interest them. To help do this we give our Engineers the opportunity to work 1 day, every 2 weeks on side projects of their choice that relate either to our industry or technology platform. It could be on anything from solving an already identified problem to proposing something no one else has even recognised!
Salary : £60,000 - £80,000 dependent on experience
Location: London, with flexible working or UK Hybrid working options
Our customers come from all walks of life, and so do we. We are committed to creating a diverse environment and are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics or disability